Are you looking to make a difference and join an exciting organization? Trustpoint One is seeking a licensed Attorney to direct the work of a non-profit’s legal department which provides legal representation and other legal services to detained adults and detained unaccompanied children in the Rio Grande Valley Texas border region. This position is based in Harlingen, TX, and requires local and regional traveling, including visiting detention facilities and meeting with detained individuals.
Legal Director Job Responsibilities:
- Directs the Legal Department in the provision of legal services to detained immigrants including adults and unaccompanied children. Develops legal strategies, including contributing to analyzing public policy issues in Texas and nationwide.
- Develops legal strategies to implement immigration legal changes, including overseeing federal litigation efforts.
- Ensures correct execution of legal programs, including legal orientations and direct representation.
- Communicates regularly with appropriate leadership regarding issues related to the provision of legal services within the department. Assists management in the provision of reports and information to funders as required.
- Ensures compliance with current funding requirements as to provision of representation and other legal services.
- Directs the recruitment, direction, training and work activities of the Legal Department.
- Supervises and mentors supervising attorneys and supervising paralegals.
- Reports to the Director of Programs and collaborates with other directors on program strategy.
- Juris Doctorate or Master of Law (LLM) from an ABA accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law and member in good standing of any State Bar. Texas bar admission preferred.
- At least four years of proven experience practicing immigration law related to detained adults and detained child respondents in removal proceedings.
- At least two years of proven experience leading and inspiring talented and diverse teams, including attorneys, paralegals, and legal assistants.
- Demonstrated success interviewing, hiring, onboarding and training staff, with particular attention to attorneys and supervising attorneys.
- Proven experience ensuring cross-functional team collaborations, leading diverse teams, and promoting a positive work atmosphere in a fast-paced and detailed-oriented environment.
- Strong sense of prioritization, including meeting deadlines and ensuring project implementation.
- Intermediate proficiency with online research and Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, OneDrive, Teams).
- Proven experience with conducting virtual meetings, training, and observations on software such as Zoom, Teams, etc.
- High-level proficiency in English, including strong writing skills.
- Fluency in Spanish, including the ability to converse in Spanish with staff and clients.
- Possesses an understanding of, and experience with, leading bi-lingual and bi-cultural teams.
- Must have reliable transportation to travel between office and off-site work locations.
- This position requires the ability to travel to and enter care provider facilities funded by the office of Refugee
Resettlement, Administration for Children and Families, United States Department of Health and Human Services which provide housing and services to unaccompanied children.
- This position will require the provision of legal services to unaccompanied children in such care provider facilities. In accordance with the federal regulation, background check will be required for this position.
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a resume for immediate consideration.