Trustpoint.One is pleased to be supporting an automotive industry client in their search for an experienced Commercial Contracts Attorney, ideally located in the Greater Detroit Metro area, to work on a hybrid basis. This is a 6 month contract position with the potential to convert to a permanent position at the end of the temporary period.
The Company has implemented an enterprise wide contract document review program and is looking for a commercial contracts attorney with hands-on prior experience with contract review, transactional support and management of contract document review workflows to assist the legal department with the contract workload. This position will provide legal advice, support and counsel relating to contract documents and transactions for the Company. This role will also assist with the oversight and management the Company’s contract document review program. The role would be approximately 50% legal review and 50% program administration.
This position will review contracts, provide markups, provide responsive markups to contracts as well as draft contracts and other contractual documents upon request. This position will also participate heavily in negotiating contracts in collaboration with Company employees to ensure that the Company’s legal position is protected and that the Company has full knowledge of the risk involved with the contract/transaction. This position will also be responsible for collaboration with Company’s legal vendors and law firms on outsourced contract reviews as well as assistance with the oversight and management of this workflow. Prior experience in with automotive OEMs or Tier 1 or Tier 2 automotive suppliers is a plus.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Legal review of contract documents.
- Legal review of markups of contract documents.
- Draft contract documents.
- Maintain Company employee expectations and communicate effectively with Company employees with respect to contract reviews and lead times
- Provide advice and counsel to Company employees on legal issues relating to contracts, transactions and contract disputes.
- Work closely and collaborate with Company employees during negotiation of contracts and transactions.
- Work to negotiate with customers, suppliers, vendors and other outside parties ensuring that the Company’s legal position is protected
- Manage and oversee legal vendors and law firms with respect to assignment of contract reviews and legal work.
- Report to General Counsel on all ongoing projects and activities including contract negotiations and the status of contract review and legal support provided for contract disputes
- Provide training to Company employees with regard to contract best practices
- Collaborate with and facilitate cross-team decision-making among the legal team, business teams and other internal teams
- Oversee and manage Company’s contract document review program.
- Track key performance metrics with respect to the contract document review program.
- Provide regular reports on contract document review program metrics to General Counsel, senior management and Japan headquarters.
- Manage document workflow and maintain related systems and files
- Manage assigned projects to completion
- All other duties as assigned
- J.D.; MBA is not required but is a plus
- Five to ten years of verifiable prior experience in an in-house legal department setting reviewing contracts, providing advice and counsel on contracts and transactions. Experience with reviewing automotive OEM and supplier contracts is a plus.
- Prior experience with managing or even participating in an organization’s enterprise wide contract document review program is a plus.
- Strong business acumen and proficiency in supply chain issues is an absolute must.
- Outstanding client service mentality.
- Ability to manage a large number of contracts simultaneously (100+).
- Good with technology and software applications
- Ability to manage client expectations
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and show initiative
- Detail oriented
- Strong attention to detail with a factual and legal analytic capability
- Ability to interact effectively with individuals of varied backgrounds and skill levels
- Comfortable with aggressive and proactive defense strategies
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Impeccable communication, both written and verbal, with strong negotiation skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office; Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.… Including the ability to “track changes” and redline documents
If you would like to learn more about the Commercial Contracts Attorney position available west of Detroit, MI, then please submit your resume, in Word format, by clicking the Apply Now button.