Trustpoint One is assisting a leading technology and life sciences law firm with multiple offices. The firm has an opening for a Senior Copyright Paralegal who will be responsible for preparing and filing copyright registrations and conducting copyright searches through the Copyright Office's online Public Records Catalog. This position can be a full-time or part-time.
Senior Copyright Paralegal Job Responsibilities:
- Navigate the U.S. Copyright Office (“USCO”) website and find links to forms, fact sheets and Circulars.
- Understanding of USCO filing procedures through eCO, the DMCA Designated Agent online registration system, and certain hard copy registrations and recordation.
- Prepare responses to the Copyright Office examiners’ inquiries regarding applications and other submitted requests and understanding of who to contact for specific issues.
- Understanding of various internal Copyright Group questionnaires, memoranda and procedures.
- Understanding of the Copyright Group procedures for the administration and maintenance of its electronic files.
- Evaluate information provided by clients and prepare follow-up communications regarding copyright registrations, recordation and DMCA Designated Agent.
- Understanding of docketed deadlines, the meanings and significance.
- Proof Certificates of Registration and Certificates of Recordation and ability to seek correction, if necessary.
- Prepare documents pertaining to the transfer or change in copyright ownership for recording with the Copyright Office.
- Understanding of procedures and requirements for ordering copies of records from the Copyright Office.
- Review inbound and outbound copyright files and knowledge of Copyright Group policies for processing.
- General assistance to Copyright Group attorneys and paralegals.
- The qualified candidate will have 6 years of copyright paralegal experience.
- A bachelor's degree and/or paralegal certificate from an ABA-accredited program is required.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze issues related to copyright registrations and propose remedies.
- Experience in preparing and filing copyright registrations that involve unusual, complex issues.
- Experience in reviewing and preparing responses to the Copyright Office examiners’ inquiries
regarding applications and other submitted requests for unusual and complex issues.
- Complete understanding of procedures to register every type of work registrable with the Copyright Office.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct copyright searches through the Copyright Office’s online Public
Records Catalog, analyze results and prepare search reports.
- Knowledge of procedures for copyright registration in other countries and ability to assist local counsel with material and information.
- Strong understanding of the Copyright Act, pertinent sections of 37 C.F.R., the Compendium of U.S. Copyright Office Practices and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”).
- Excellent client service ethic, communication and interpersonal skills.
If you would like to learn more about the Copyright Paralegal position in New York City, New York, please submit your resume in Word format.