Trustpoint One is assisting a non-profit agency in Harlingen, Texas in its search for a Senior Attorney to provide legal services to children in immigration proceedings.
Senior Attorney Job Responsibilities:
- Mentors Staff Attorneys, providing advice and direction on their cases.
- Assists in the training and mentoring of pro bono attorneys, legal support staff and other legal volunteers.
- Develops and maintains legal competency relating to immigration detention work, specifically as applied to unaccompanied minors.
- Builds and maintains relations with local stakeholders. Observes ethical practices relating to client confidentiality and all other applicable legal ethics standards. Maintains case files, documentation and data integrity using case management system.
- Regularly appears in immigration court to represent children in removal proceedings and to act as Friend of Court for other detained youth as appropriate. May also appear in Texas state court as related to a child’s immigration case.
- Serves as a facilitator between the shelter, shelter services team and legal department.
- Reviews legal screenings and assigns follow-up services, including additional interviewing, referrals to other legal services providers and advocates, or in- house representation.
- Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA-accredited law school and one or more years’ experience representing clients preferably on immigration matters.
- Licensed and in good standing to practice law in a U.S. state or territory.
- Fluent in English and Spanish in written and spoken forms.
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office products and Google tools.
- Must be able to pick up on client verbal and non-verbal cues.
- Have reliable transportation to travel to off-site work locations.
If you would like to learn more about the Senior Attorney position in Harlingen, Texas please submit your resume in Word format.