Trademark and IP Legal Assistant
Trustpoint One is working with a chemicals company in its search for a Trademark IP Legal Assistant to assist the in-house attorneys, paralegals and legal assistants. This is a temporary role and may be performed remotely.
Trademark Legal Assistant Responsibilities:
- Maintaining an effective daily workflow and independently managing/coordinating IP administrative services to legal function and business clients.
- Prepares and files U.S. and non-U.S. documents that meet legal and country filing requirements of worldwide trademark offices. Responds to official requests for information.
- Manages dockets and correspondence to facilitate timely filings and official responses to actionable due dates.
- Act as a statistical and informational resource for businesses in operational and administrative functions related to trademarks. Manage, interpret, compare, search and retrieve data and legal correspondence in external websites, databases, and corporate and business-specific databases (i.e., USPTO, internal docketing systems, etc.).
- Maintain current expertise of the statutes/rules of individual countries worldwide and international treaties regarding specific requirements for a wide variety of legal documents. Determine which formality procedures should be followed for the country involved and in what sequence. Anticipate need for and prepare documents to meet requirements of trademark offices worldwide. Respond to a variety of official requests such as status reports, requests for cited references and others.
- Manage docketing and correspondence to prevent loss of trademark rights and to assure accurate and timely workflow for self and attorney/agent. Generate and coordinate multiple dockets for meeting all US and international deadlines to prevent abandonment or loss of the property involved.
- Capture and maintain trademark specific data within corporate patent/trademark/copyright system. Calculate and enter data for all new trademark filings including determining correct priority data. Input and track US and international deadlines and responses for pending cases.
- Assist attorneys and paralegals in interpreting, comparing, searching and retrieving information; conduct ad hoc reports; (i.e., docket, scheduler, statistics, costs and budget, etc.); conduct trademark background searches; monitor trademark uses.
- Serve as expert resource, role model and mentor on Trademark Office practices and processes to internal customers (legal organization, business clients) and external customers (agents, outside counsel).
- Act as an expert resource in utilizing external and internal business specific and corporate systems, websites, databases, applications; i.e., Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Sharepoint, etc.)
- Associate or bachelor’s degree or at least a high school diploma and several years of trademark experience at the administrative level.
- Strong communication skills, word processing abilities and proficiency in computer software applications such as Excel and Microsoft Word.
- Possess thorough understanding and hands-on experience of the US and non-US trademark processes including all formal and procedural aspects of those processes.
- Possess sound analysis and judgment, business acumen, communication, and managing productivity.
Qualified candidates should submit a resume in Word Format.